Grand Historical routes
About This Tour
- Apart from a coupleDiscover the land that used to be one the greatest kingdoms of the world. Enjoy breathtaking scenery and endemic wildlife. This is a guided private tour the Classic Historic Route of Ethiopia,
- Visit Three UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- Be amazed by a visit to the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, one of “the living wonders of the world”.
- Travel back in time to explore the ancient city of Axum — the last resting place of the Ark of the Covenant.
- Discover the fairytale castles of Gondar.
- Take a cruise on Lake Tana to visit the ancient island monasteries.
- See the source of the mighty Blue Nile River and Blue Nile Falls.
- Visit the vibrant city of Addis Ababa.
- Try the varied Ethiopian food.
- Attend an Ethiopian coffee ceremony.
Day 1:- full Day in Axum
Early departure to fly to Axum, you will have a city tour in the UNESCO World Heritage Site. Legends narrate in the Kebre Nagast (Book of Kings) how the city of Axum as early as the 10th century B.C. was already the city where the Queen of Sheba resided. It is told that the son of Queen of Sheba and King Solomon, Menelik, brought the Ark of the Covenant from Jerusalem to Axum and it remained there to this day, preserved in a sanctuary. Famous long before the time of Christ, Axum was the capital of the long Axumite reign, one of the oldest African empires and represented a crucial trade connecting-point between Africa and Asia for almost a thousand years. Visit the Granite stone Stele of Axum, the Tombs of King Kaleb and his son King G/Meskel, the Ezana’s stone inscriptions, Queen of Sheba’s palace and Swimming pool, and the Church of Zion, the final resting place of the True Ark of Covenant.
Day 2:- Excursion to Yimrhane Kirstos
Today, you will take a flight to Lalibela from Axum, the home of the largest monolithic church in the world. After lunch, you leave Lalibela and take a trip to Yemrehanna Kristos church.
Day 3:- full day In Lalibela
After breakfast, start your tour of the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, visiting the Northwestern Cluster of churches – Bet Medhane Alem, Bet Maryam, Bet Meskel, Bet Danaghel, Bet Mikael & Bet Golgotha (entry not permitted for women0, and in the afternoon, visit the Southeastern Cluster of churches – Bet Gabriel-Rufael, Bet Merkorios, Bet Amanuel, and Bet Abba Libanos. Finally, you will visit the most famous of all the churches – Bet Giyorgis, constructed in honor of the patron saint of Ethiopia – Saint George.
Day 4:- flight to Gonder
The camelot of Africa. The city seems more of European than African origin. In the afternoon, visit Fasiladas’ Palace, probably the most impressive of all the castles found in the area and the oldest one! Continue going to the Church of Debre Berham Selassie (Light of the Trinity). The interior is decorated with beautiful frescos, cherubs and paintings. Debre Berham Selassie is rumored to once having been the proposed final resting-place of the Ark of the Covenant of the Ethiopian Empire, which began in 1632.
Day 5:- Journey to Bahir Dar
After relaxed breakfast in Gonder drive to Bahir Dar to proceed the Blue Nile Falls.
Day 6:- Boat trip on Lake Tana then late afternoon fly back to Addis Ababa
you will have a boat trip on Lake Tana, where 37 islands and 32 of them have churches and monasteries of considerable historical and cultural interest. You visit the monastery church of Ura Kidane Mihret is more decorative with a huge, conical thatched roof is painted with scenes from Biblical lore; and Daga Estifanos is considered one of the most sacred on Lake Tana, and said to have served as a temporary hiding place for the Ark of the Covenant.